05 May Tipsy Tuesday – Taking Great Photos
Here are some great tips for taking beautiful photos of your products for your social media, whether it’s jewelry and accessories or apparel, or both. It does take time to style, shoot, and post a photo, but like anything else, the more you do it, the easier and more fun it becomes.
Let’s start with jewelry photos:
- Use a white or solid background. It could be a wall, table, or floor.
- Place jewelry on a display or lay flat.
- Make sure there’s lots of natural light.
- Use portrait mode on your iPhone to blur the background.
For clothing and accessories try flat lays. A flat lay is when you lay several items on the ground or on a table and arrange them artfully. Flat lay photos are generally taken from directly above. Check out the account @flatlay on Instagram for inspiration.
- Start by selecting items within a color story.
- Lay the items out on the floor or a table, anything that compliments the colors.
- Use natural light whenever possible.
When taking the photos keep these four things in mind:
- You don’t have to keep everything symmetrical
- Use the Crop tool to edit after taking the photo instead of zooming in on the items before you shoot.
- Leave “white” space between and around the items.
- If you’re posting to Instagram you can take the photo in square mode. You’ll find this where you select “video”, “photo”, or “square.” This will save you a step later.
- Keep things playful and fun!
If you’d like to take your photos one step further and add text, graphics or borders, try using the app Canva. In Canva you can create any kind of post from Instagram to Facebook covers and more. You can use your own brand colors and fonts. Download it for free from the App Store and play around and see what you can create!
Be sure to tag us, @fashionmarketnorcal_fmnc in your posts so we can cheer you on!